26 January 2009

A Week in Review

I've decided to pick 10 highlights from this week to share. In random order (I'm writing them as they occur to me):
  1. Completing and turning in my last graduate school application. The process reminded me of why I want to pursue a PhD. And now the waiting begins... (I probably won't hear back from any schools until March.) I've got to be the lamest applicant out there. Maybe everyone feels that way? Yikes!
  2. I've had lots of time to spend with friends from my church, Hope C of C. We ate meals together, met for coffee before church tonight. I love getting to know them outside of church.
  3. On Friday night (during one of the dinners mentioned earlier), I got to spend time with kids. At one point, I held the three-year old in my lap while we all talked about our favorite parts of the Harry Potter series. There is nothing quite so sweet as the unguarded affection of a small child.
  4. As my 9 o'clock class ended on Friday, one of my students said to me, "Your class is too short!" I said thanks! I wondered if he'll feel the same way in a few more weeks and also considered that he's one of those "front row sitters" (therefore likely to say ingratiating things like that), but it's still a comment that I'll treasure.
  5. This is a more abstract highlight, but more days than not, I've gone to work and come home with a feeling of deep enjoyment and contentment about work. After this semester it will be time for me to move on, and I'll be ready, but I'm enjoying the present.
  6. I'm looking forward to Wednesday night church these days. (This is not usually the norm for me - I usually go to build community and endure whatever we're doing in class.) Right now we're studying 1 Corinthians.
  7. I talked to both of my siblings, if briefly, for a few minutes each today. I love them.
  8. My cousin invited me to her baby shower this weekend in Ft. Worth. I couldn't go, so instead we made plans to hang out next weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing her.
  9. This week was full of walks: some solo, but most others with Shannon B and/or Deanna. Wonderful!
  10. Media fun: I made a mix for a friend (we always trade mixes on birthdays and I'm about a month and a half late on hers). I think it'll be worth the wait. Also, I've been reading The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. That deserves it's own post. Finally, the Vicar of Dibley just cracks me up. Especially the nun jokes at the end of the show that inevitably flop.
It's 15 minutes past my bedtime. And since getting around 8 hours of sleep is a highlight of every day, I'm signing off.

2 comments:

Shellie said...

Kelli, I just wanted you to know that I love you!! And I am glad you are enjoying teaching! Let me know when you hear from the schools!

Mark and Ali said...

i promise i am still working on the response email... you were not forgotten!

i love you, friend!
ali