09 March 2006

Lack of Commitment

I hate to ruin all those lofty ideas about reaching the "point of no return" with this post. Oh well. Let's think of it as a dialectical process...

It's true. I have a hard time committing to things. Tonight I had one of those pivotal moments that revealed afresh the inner turmoil of my indecision. I stood there, mouth agape, knowing that this decision would be impacting me and those around me for months to come. And so I mustered all my resources: my senses, memory, reason, intuitions... anything that might help me make the next crucial step.

I'm talking, of course, about picking out a bottle of body wash. Maybe you've had a similar experience? I know, I know, no big deal - it's just soap. But when you stare at all those possibilities with their infinite combination of fruity smells, don't you get just a little bit overwhelmed?

Whenever I have to buy body wash, I spend an inordinate amount of time sniffing at each container and comparing the smells of similar products. Most of them smell lovely, but one little whiff out of a bottle doesn't give you a good idea of what that smell will be like when your whole body smells like it all day long. What if it's overpowering? Or what if it's just fine in the bottle or on your hands, but totally wrong for the rest? What if I like for the first week or two, but then it gets old and I have to put up with it for months? What if it causes one of my friends to have an allergic reaction?

Good news: I did actually purchase some body wash, so you don't need to worry about staying upwind or wearing clothes pins on your nose when I'm around. It was tough, but I finally arbitrarily picked up a bottle, took a big sniff, and decided that it would do. How's that for commitment? I guess we jump into a lot of wonderful things in life without knowing quite what we're getting into... maybe that's how my body wash decision will turn out!

2 comments:

Mark said...

Kelli -

I'm totally with you on taking baby steps in the committment stage. Katrina and I just recently purchased a house plant, and we're testing ourselves to see if we can keep it alive. If so, we may buy some brine shrimp or something. All we know is that babies are not in our future for a long time...

Kelli said...

Mark - house plants, possibly brine shrimp - wow, you're responsible for living things! How grown up!

Was that an unintentional inclusio with the word "baby"? (I'm going to go stamp "geek" on my forehead now.)